1.3.07

Digital vs. Glass


Filters makes our photos Incredibly beautiful, but does it make less of the photographers ability to take good photos, certainly not, they need spatial knowledge about colors and mixing them and how to focus manually on your seen, and which color match that time of the day and this particular seen, so it is really a tough job, thats for the glass filters, the new age now is digital photography, and with digital photography comes digital editing (more about that later) which is essential, now you can add these filter effects digitally, which means you can test all kind of filter colors on your photos, till you hit the color you really like, if after some time you changed your mind about that one color, by all means go ahead and change it, now what about if I don't want the filter effect, well your original copy is still available to you.

Digital filters, Positive:
1.You have literally millions of filters on your computer.
2.They come for free with your editing software.
3.You can add/remove them any time you want.

Digital filters, Negative:
1.ahh... I don't see any.

Does that mean I'm against Glass filters, well, lets say I don't want to use them OK, but I'm sure for some they find an enjoyment using them and I wish them all the best, but if you use digital you should go digital all the way, after all you cant play a betamax video tape on your HD receiver right ;)

7 comments:

Hitman1 said...

Photography Geeks!!

He did you know that you use xen toinstall a vritual server of mysql.. then access that through ssh for enterprise encryption quality. Add a layer of openssl and you will be rock solid.

Anonymous said...

I used to love using the Cokin filters.. but do you know on what?

..on my 8mm Video Camera.. back in the 1990's :D

In this age of Digital Photography glass filters cause what is called Distractive Effects, when all the new digital imaging softwares are aiming to nondestructive editing, which allows you to do whatever you want to the photo without really changing it's core.

To be fair, some filters can be useful if used correctly, you know, to balance the exposure or achieve some effects not possible digitally. But using it to "colour" your pictures? .. I don't know about that..

I know why you wrote this post :) .. and just want to tell you that it is just a phase.. don't worry :p

Parallax1 said...

hitman1, dude your freakiness exceeds mine by a lot more my brother ;)

moayad, yes, you are right my friend, I like to use polarizers and ND's but not the colored ones, and lets hope the guys get the real idea behind digital ;)

We are having a "filter" mania here Kuwait.

Kuw_Son said...

You r right .. there r no negatives of using digital filters .. they are useful and cheap .. why adding a glass filters headache !!?

Go digital guys .. and that ancient stuff is gone :P

elle yesma3ne al7een yqool mo qa3ed ast5dem color filters .. I have a sunset " orange " filter .. thats it :P

good post Parallax

Parallax1 said...

Thanks kuw son, and one filter is not a sin ;)

Witty said...

OK, I feel like a 'normal' gal intruding on a bunch o'geeks here lol

hitman's comment looked really encrypted to me!

In any case, I gather you didn't use a glass filter when you took that shot then?

I can see your point about the advantages of digital filters (not that am a photographer of any kind), but had I been one, I would've taken two pictures of the same scene, one w/o any filters (to play around with 'digitally') and one with a glass filter, just for the challenge of it :)

Parallax1 said...

witty, I see what you mean, thanks for coming by.